Compass Music Festival – Far South Coast
The NSW Department of Education will present a combined public schools performance at Bega Valley Commemorative Civic Centre. The concert will feature a combined secondary choir, primary choir, primary string ensemble and combined recorder ensemble.
Rehearsal and performance date
Friday 7 June 2024 (Term 2 Week 6)
Schools participating in Compass Music Festival will come together to rehearse throughout the day and perform an evening concert.
The combined ensembles include:
- combined secondary school choir (Years 7 to 12)
- combined primary school choir (Years 3 to 6)
- combined recorder ensemble (Years 3 to 12)
- combined primary school string ensemble (Years 3 to 6)
- combined signing choir (Years 3 to 12)
There is no audition required for the combined ensembles. All schools that apply will be accepted.
To apply, complete the Compass Music Festival - Far South Coast school application form. Applications will close on Friday 1 March 2024.
Opportunities for cluster rehearsals will become available in Term 1 and Term 2 2024.
The repertoire for combined ensembles will be made up of selections from:
- 2024 In Concert (combined secondary choir)
- 2024 Festival of Choral Music (combined primary choir)
- 2024 Festival of Instrumental Music (combined recorder and string ensemble)
All of the combined ensembles will perform a combined opening and finale item as part of a massed choir.
- A participation fee of $20.00 per student will be payable upon confirmation of numbers late Term 1, 2024.
- Each participating student and teacher will receive a specially designed T-shirt to wear at the performance.
Professional learning and resources
- Teachers will receive a master copy of the relevant repertoire (secondary choral and/or recorders and/or primary choral) from which to make copies for every participating student
- Access to a range of online repertoire resources will become available soon
- Teachers from participating schools are encouraged to attend in-person teachers’ professional development workshops for the musical component in which their school is involved
Local teacher professional development workshops available to participating schools include:
- Compass recorder workshop Term 1 Week 5 (venue and date TBA)
- Compass primary choir workshop Term 1 Week 5 (venue and date TBA)
Sydney teacher professional development workshops also covering the Compass repertoire include:
- Festival of Instrumental Music strings workshop Tuesday 13 February 2024 at Sydney Conservatorium of Music 9 am to 3 pm
- Festival of Instrumental Music recorder workshop Wednesday 14 February 2024 at Sydney Conservatorium of Music 9 am to 3 pm
- In Concert secondary choir workshop Thursday 15 February 2024 (venue TBA)
- Festival of Choral Music primary choir workshop Friday 16 February 2024 at Sydney Conservatorium of Music 9 am to 3 pm
Teachers may choose to attend their local professional development workshop and/or the corresponding Sydney workshop. Registrations for each workshop will open early in Term 1 2024.
Featured ensemble opportunity
In 2024 performance opportunities are available for outstanding individual school instrumental and vocal items at Compass Music Festival – Far South Coast. Solos, duets, or small ensembles are encouraged to apply. Pieces will be selected on the basis of providing high quality and variety to the concert.
Applications for featured items at the Compass Music Festival – Far South Coast will open in Term 4, 2023.
Applicants will be required to be available for a sound check on Thursday 6 June and the evening performance Friday 7 June 2024.
There are opportunities for Entertainment Industry (VET) students to undertake a work placement at this event. VET Entertainment teachers should contact Sue Dawson, Arts Coordination Officer for further information.
Bega Valley Commemorative Civic Centre
Bega NSW 2550