Arts NorthWest Music Festival
The Arts NorthWest Music Festival provides the opportunity for public schools to come together annually to showcase high-quality individual items and combined school choirs.
Students from Kindergarten to Year 12 are provided with an opportunity to develop and refine music and performance skills. In 2024, the Arts NorthWest Music Festival is open to all public schools across NSW and moves to an exciting new venue at The Concourse in Chatswood.
Opportunities are available for school groups of up to 30 students to participate in the combined primary choir and for soloists, duets, small groups and large ensembles to perform as individual items in one of four performances.
Please note, this program was formerly known as the Arts Alive Choral Festival.
Arts NorthWest Music Festival - performance dates
- Burrendong Concert – Monday 19 August 2024 (Term 3 Week 5) – Concert Hall, The Concourse
- Cawndilla Concert – Tuesday 20 August 2024 (Term 3 Week 5) – Concert Hall, The Concourse
- Pinaroo Concert – Wednesday 21 August 2024 (Term 3 Week 5) – Concert Hall, The Concourse
- Wyangan Concert – Thursday 22 August 2024 (Term 3 Week 5) – Concert Hall, The Concourse
On the day of the performance, groups in the combined primary choir will be expected to rehearse at The Concourse from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm and then return at 6:15 pm for a 7:00 pm performance.
Arts NorthWest Music Festival - preliminary rehearsal information
- Schools participating in the Burrendong Concert – Tuesday 11 June 2024 (Term 2 Week 7) – 9:30 am to 1:00 pm – Civic Pavilion, The Concourse
- Schools participating in the Cawndilla Concert – Wednesday 12 June 2024 (Term 2 Week 7) – 9:30 am to 1:00 pm – Civic Pavilion, The Concourse
- Schools participating in the Pinaroo Concert – Thursday 13 June 2024 (Term 2 Week 7) – 9:30 am to 1:00 pm – Civic Pavilion, The Concourse
- Schools participating in the Wyangan Concert – Friday 14 June 2024 (Term 2 Week 7) – 9:30 am to 1:00 pm – Civic Pavilion, The Concourse
Schools should attend the rehearsal for the concert in which they have been allocated.
How to apply
Combined primary choir applications for the 2024 Arts NorthWest Music Festival are now open via online application form, and will close on Friday 9 February 2024 (Term 1 Week 2).
Applications to perform as an instrumental or vocal item will open in late Term 1 2024 and close in mid-Term 2.
Combined primary choir
The 2024 repertoire will feature an array of diverse choral works for primary school choirs, including a number of newly commissioned pieces by Australian composers, and is most suitable for students in Years 4 to 6.
As with the 2022 Arts Alive Choral Festival, a series of videos will be created to assist teachers in teaching the repertoire. These videos will be released in late Term 1 2024.
There is no audition necessary for schools to join the 2024 Arts NorthWest Music Festival combined primary choir. Schools may apply for a group of up to 30 students to participate, and there will be an option on the online application form to indicate that you would like to bring more than 30 students if we have space available.
Please note, the number of students accepted from your school will be confirmed on acceptance into the concert. Due to capacity limitations in each venue, we may not be able to accept the full number of students each school applies to have involved. Schools will be notified of their final numbers accepted by the end of Term 1 2024.
- The student resource fee for each student participant is $40.00 (ex GST). As part of this, students will receive a printed repertoire booklet, access to digital teaching materials, and a concert performance t-shirt.
- Payment will be made to the student's school and direct debited by The Arts Unit from schools in early Term 3 2024.
Instrumental and vocal items
In 2024 performance opportunities are available for outstanding instrumental and vocal items at the Arts NorthWest Music Festival. These opportunities are open to all public school students and can include music ensembles of all sizes, large or small – including soloists and choirs. Applications will open in early 2024 and close in mid-Term 2 2024.
409 Victoria Avenue
Chatswood NSW 2067