Combined High Schools Debating
NSW senior government school students trial for places in one of three representative Combined High Schools teams. Those teams then compete against other representative teams from various private school organisations in a bid to win the NSW Representative Debating Cup.
The selection trials for the Combined High Schools team will be held at James Ruse Agricultural High School on Saturday 24 June and will involve at least three debates for each participant over the course of the day. Students who are selected in the squad will attend a series of coaching sessions each Wednesday evening from 4:30 PM until 7:00 PM. These will be held either at The Arts Unit in Lewisham or online. Some of the state’s most successful debaters and adjudicators will be involved in coaching the team.
The teams will then compete against the best non-government school debaters in three evening debates to be held on Wednesday 6 September, Monday 11 September and Wednesday 13 September. Just a reminder that students from regional areas are welcome to trial as long as they are able to commit to attending the in-person competition debates. Some training sessions will be accessible online for students who cannot attend due to distance or illness. To register for the trials, contact the Speaking Competitions Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Trials date:||Saturday 24 June 2023|
|Trials time:||9:00 AM to 4:30 PM|
|Trials venue:||James Ruse Agricultural High School|
About the competition
- Students must be from Years 11 and 12.
- Students are nominated by coaches and adjudicators and selection trials take place at the end of Term 2.
- The selected students then participate in a series of coaching sessions.
- The Combined High Schools teams will face teams from the IGSA, GPS, and CAS debating organisations in a series of debates in Term 3.
- Firsts, Seconds and Thirds debates are held simultaneously in the evening at a host school. Social distancing restrictions permitting, parents and teachers are encouraged to attend.
- Medallions and CHS ties are awarded to team members of the Firsts, Seconds, and Thirds. The NSW Representative Debating Cup is awarded to the champion representative team.
Check back for details of how to apply in Term 2.