Inclusive dance workshop for teachers
A 2-day professional learning course aimed at developing skills in teaching dance and inclusively engaging students with additional learning needs. The program is open to teachers from both NSW public and non-government schools.
Sessions are facilitated by industry professionals and Department of Education teachers with specialised skills.
About the program
This two day workshop is an excellent opportunity to develop high-level skills in making dance works, engaging in music practices and exploring dramatic contexts for students with disabilities. Participants will gain practical insight, knowledge and skills applicable to a wide range of disabilities. Participants will be equipped with teaching strategies to take back to the classroom.
This workshop is suitable for teachers and support staff who have one or multiple students with a disability and is open to teachers from both government and non-government schools.
Sessions are facilitated by industry professionals and Department of Education teachers with specialised skills. Sessions will focus on:
- engaging students through movement, music and drama
- creating choreography for students
- using ICT to engage students with disabilities
- using non-verbal communication focusing on empowering and teaching students through performance, movement and gesture
- playbuilding and characterisation.
Dates, times and locations
2-day Sydney workshop:
- Friday 16 June 2023 – The Arts Unit, Lewisham
- Saturday 17 June 2023 – Australian College of Physical Education, Sydney Olympic Park
Applications for the Sydney workshop close 5pm, Thursday 8 June 2023.
2-day Leeton workshop:
- Friday 23 June 2023 – Multipurpose Community Centre, Leeton
- Saturday 24 June 2023 – Multipurpose Community Centre, Leeton
Applications for the Leeton workshop close 5pm, Thursday 8 June 2023.
- $200.00 per participating NSW public school teachers for the two-day workshop.
- $500.00 per participating NSW non-government school teachers for the two-day workshop.
How to apply
- Submit an online application.
- Register for this course on MyPL. The course ID is NRG03313 (Disability Inclusion Dance Workshop for Teachers).
- Make payment through The Arts Unit Website payment portal. Here is a step-by-step guide for making an online payment: 2023 Payment Portal Guide (DOCX, 769.64 KB)
Please note that your place in the workshop will not be confirmed until all three steps in the application process are complete.
Registered professional learning hours
Completing the Disability Dance Teacher Workshop will contribute 7.5 hours of Professional Learning addressing standards 1.5.2, 1.6.2, 4.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation.