Aboriginal Dance Company
The Aboriginal Dance Company provides opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to excel in contemporary Indigenous dance. This initiative is a partnership with the world-renowned Australian dance company Bangarra Dance Theatre, enabling students to work with leading dancers and choreographers to recreate works from Bangarra Dance Theatre's repertoire.
About the NSW Public Schools Aboriginal Dance Company
The Aboriginal Dance Company is an audition-based dance ensemble for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students who excel in contemporary Indigenous dance. The Company is a partnership between the NSW Department of Education Arts Unit and Bangarra Dance Theatre.
In previous years, the Company has performed at state dance festivals, in the Schools Spectacular and at a number of other high profile events. Students selected for the Company will experience new and exciting opportunities to perform in 2023.
Applications for the 2023 Aboriginal Dance Company have now closed.
Students will need to watch the video of the Bangarra Dance Theatre repertoire and learn the movement. Students can learn either group 1 or group 2 movement and should follow the verbal instructions for using right and left. The movement is performed to the music Miminga from Dreaming by Wicked Beat Sound.
To apply, students must complete this online application form and upload the following 3 components:
- Students will need to record themselves performing the set repertoire. This should be shot in landscape with the student applying performing and visible from head to toe. Groups are not encouraged as students are hard to identify. Multiple applications from schools are accepted.
- A filmed 1 minute Viva Voce (short speech) introducing themselves, their school, their mob, their dance experience, why they would like to be part of the Aboriginal Dance Company and what they hope to do in the future.
- A headshot photograph.
Application endorsement form
All applications must download and complete the following application endorsement form to provide parent / guardian permission, as well as, a teacher reference and principal endorsement.
The completed form should be uploaded in the audition elements sections of this online application to be considered. If you are unable to upload the complete application endorsement form at the time of submission please email it as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aboriginal Dance Company - application endorsement form - 2023 (DOCX, 72.74 KB)
- Aboriginal Dance Company - application endorsement form - 2023 (PDF, 80.45 KB)
Audition support resources
- Uploading a video to YouTube - Aboriginal Dance Company (DOCX, 1.22 MB)
- Audition tips for dance
- Tips for dance auditions
What happens next
The audition panel will review the applications after the closing date. Parents and students will be emailed about the outcome of the audition after Friday 28 April 2023.
- Term 3, Week 7 - Monday 28 August to Friday 1 September, 9am - 3pm at Bangarra Dance Theatre Studios, Dawes Point
- Term 3, Week 9 - Monday 11 September to Friday 15 September, 9am - 3pm at Bangarra Dance Theatre Studios, Dawes Point
- Term 4, Week 4 - Monday 30 October to Friday 3 November, 9am - 3pm at Bangarra Dance Theatre Studios, Dawes Point
- Term 4, Week 7 - Monday 20 November to Wednesday 22 November, 9am - 3pm at TBC near Olympic Park
- Term 4, Week 7 - Wednesday 22 November to Thursday 23 November, TBC at Qudos Bank Arena
- State Dance Festival at Seymour Centre – Friday 15 September 2023
- Schools Spectacular at Qudos Bank Arena – Friday 24 and Saturday 25 November 2023
- Additional opportunities throughout the year as they arise
- Applications open Monday 30 January 2023.
- Applications close Thursday 6 April 2022.